Re: global-replace to include linked files?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: global-replace to include linked files?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 22:26:36 +0200

Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:

> So, Emanuel, is that what Sharon's post looked like
> to you?  (Excepting the "> > " sequences, of course.)
> I suspect what is happening is that your Gnus is set
> to word wrap at about 52 columns.  Since Sharon's
> "cut here" lines are 65 characters long, and have
> only one space to boot, the wrapping gets very
> confused, and leaves you with an ugly mess.  Assuming
> (HAH!) that the wrap size is the problem, rather than
> something else, simply set the wrap column to 66 or
> better.

Yeah, but this is actually a spot-on illustration to
what I said earlier in the RTF vs. plain text
discussion - if you use plain text, and markup only
when it is necessary, then you don't have to fill to
any specific column or do anything except what you (and
YOU) want with the text. That's the beauty of it!

But while some extra effort is needed, I'm down but
certainly not out.

(article-translate-strings
'(
  ;; other stuff
  ("--8<---------------cut etc." "") )

This will remove those lines altogether. Now it is just
a matter of finding the right hook never to hook with a
hooker with.

Actually, perhaps filling should not be done this
crude, but instead a small program could determine if a
paragraph is code or not - difficult but certainly not
impossible... (There should be such routines around.)
Then the paragraphs determined code shouldn't be
filled.

Be sure to catch the next episode of Operation Emacs -
solving problems you never been thought of thinking of
having!

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573