Python Mode, managing and converting TABS

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Python Mode, managing and converting TABS
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 11:13:45 -0800

I'm currently using
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10 on
Ubuntu 12.04, but expect to have to also use --no-window-system
("console mode") on occassion.

I have used emacs extensively in the distant past (up 'til 2008), so
am re-acquainting myself with the system.

I have much legacy python code that has "hard tabs" and to meet
the python style guides, will have to be converted to "soft tabs".
I.E. TAB => "    "

I also need to configure emacs so that TAB (or Ctrl-i) inserts four
spaces instead of the TAB character.

I currently have this in my .emacs [code]
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (turn-on-font-lock)
               (setq default-tab-width 4)
               (setq tab-width 4)
               (imenu-add-menubar-index)
               (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)))

[/code]

I'd welcome any and all advice, pointers to previous discussion
would are solicited.

thanks
--
Tim