Re: Frustrated with Font issues

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Frustrated with Font issues
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 22:24:35 +0200

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> With set-frame-font, it doesn't have the same font set as other
> applications, though! That's the problem! They're not the same, at all.

M-! xlsfonts RET should give you the font set, and it should be exactly
the same as for other applications.

The only difference may be that in application font dialogs, this list
of X fonts is collected by font family and other categories.

Reasons you may get a different list of fonts however are:

- you're using a different X server (improbable),

- the applications are using other fonts than X fonts.  For example, TeX
  will use metafonts.  Some GUI toolkit used by applications often use
  TrueType fonts (instead or in addition to X fonts).

There are some indications about using TrueType fonts in emacs in
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc10
but I don't know what's the status of this feature in emacs 24.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/