Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 18:53:47 +0100

Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> writes:

> Hi!
>
> How do I get Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes.  I
> thought I had it covered, but it seems that something has changed and
> now M-x ispell won’t recognize “isn’t” as a word anymore.
>
> First off, what English dictionary should I be using?
>
> Second, how do I get Emacs to send words containing apostrophes to Hunspell?
>
> Fiddling with WORDCHARS in en_US.aff seems so wrong, as Emacs will
> then send stuff like 'isn't' as a word.
>
> The final step is getting “isn’t” to work with Unicode apostrophes,
> but let’s take it one step at a time.
>
> It’s beyond me how this isn’t working, but I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

This is from my "init.el" -
;; Use hunspell instead of ispell
(if (file-exists-p "/usr/bin/hunspell")
    (progn
      (setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")
      (eval-after-load "ispell"
        '(progn (defun ispell-get-coding-system () 'utf-8)))))
(setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")
(require 'rw-hunspell)
(require 'rw-language-and-country-codes)
(require 'rw-ispell)
(setq ispell-dictionary "en_GB_hunspell")

Hopefully this will help you get going with hunspell, which I have
found is good! :) This is all I have set up for hunspell and it
works okay with "isn’t" as I've just corrected it in this email.

If you want copies of "rw-hunspell, rw-language-and-country-codes,
rw-ispell" I can priv mail them to you, but I think that I got them
From emacswiki.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1