Re: Overriding some face attributes without changing the default(s) one(

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Overriding some face attributes without changing the default(s) one(s)
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 20:52:23 +0200

Alexandre LAURENT <shaoner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to customize the whitespace-mode face for "long" lines.
> By default, a specific face is defined for long lines but it is kind
> of ugly in my case.
> I would actually like these lines to look the same color as usual with
> weight = bold, i.e. keeping the syntax highlighting (keywords,
> strings, function names, etc.), but overriding weight or underline
> attributes.

Just configure the face to use the bold attribute, and leave all other
attributes emtpy.

> From
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Face-Attributes.html,
> it seems that setting some attributes to undefined "tells Emacs to
> refer to a parent face", but not sure what the parent is in this case
> anyway.

This refers to inheritance, which is not directly related to what you
want.

> Since there are multiple different faces for syntax highlighting, and
> only one for long lines, I'm not sure that this is even possible. But
> if it is, any ideas?

What you want works well for me without doing anything special.  The
`whitespace-line' face is "merged" with the normal font locking, and I
see the colors from syntax highlighting, but in bold for long lines.

I'm not completely sure if that works in older Emacs version.
Anyway, just try it!

Michael.