Re: Changing menubar fonts, GNU Emacs 24.3.1?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Changing menubar fonts, GNU Emacs 24.3.1?
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 00:25:06 +0700

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM, amca01@gmail.com <amca01@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been totally unsuccessful with this: I want to change my Emacs menubar
> fonts so that they look like menus in other applications.  I'm using kubuntu
> 14.04 64-bit, and the emacs version I'm using is:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
>  of 2014-03-08 on lamiak, modified by Debian
>
> I've tried customizing faces, I've tried fiddling with X resources, but so
> far nothing I've done has had any affect on the menu font, which is a spindly
> monospaced font.  The font used for menus in other applications seems to be
> "Ubuntu 9", whatever that is.

You are using a GTK+3 application (Emacs) in a KDE environment. It is
likely that your theme supports Qt but not GTK+3.

Do you also suffer from the same problem when using other GTK+3
applications (e.g. synaptic or gucharmap)? If so, find a theme that
supports both Qt and GTK+3, or find a GTK+3 theme that most resembles
your chosen Qt theme.

Nothing that you do in Emacs (apart from editing GTK+3 configuration
files) will affect the appearance of menus, since they are drawn by
the toolkit, not Emacs.