Re: Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Chracters not unified with Unicode -- any example?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:40:04 +0300

> From: Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:55:13 +0200
>
> Are there defined Emacs characters in range 0x110000-0x3fff7f
> (beyond Unicode codepoints, but before eight-bit raw bytes)?

Yes, quite a few.

> I looked at various map files in etc and hadn't found any non-Unicode
> codepoints there. Documentation refers to this range as "characters that are
> not unified with Unicode", but does not give any examples.

You will find them in lisp/international/mule-conf.el.  Look for any
define-charset form which has a :unify-map property.  The :code-offset
property gives the beginning of the codepoint block for each of these
charsets, which tells you where in the 0x110000-0x3fff7f range they
are mapped.

This is an obscure issue, which is of interest to a select few (maybe
just one) of the Emacs hackers, that's why it is never described more
than you found in the documentation.