Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:32:38 +0200

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> For instance, every book uses real quotation marks
> and apostrophes. They are standard in the publishing
> world. Many people use Emacs to write text that will
> be published (web, printed material).

Well, OK, sort of...

On the other hand, that would typically be produced
with LaTeX. (In latex-mode, there are some annoying ``
and '' automatically when you do " - I never learned
the reason for that.) But in short forms like "isn't",
at least I simply write ' in the LaTeX source - I
haven't noticed how they turn out - probably that can
be tweaked (I'll get back to you on that, as I happen
to work on such a document right now).

For web material I think '/" is preferable still,
because people like to yank it into mails and the like,
and it would just be extra work having them change to
'/" whenever that happens.

Some examples from the computer world:

A quote from the ls man page:

-G, --no-group
       in a long listing, don't print group names

>From the emacs ditto:

-Q, --quick
        Similar  to  "-q  --no-site-file   --no-splash".

>From RFC 3676:

   If the line is flowed and DelSp is "yes", the
   trailing space immediately prior to the line's CRLF
   is logically deleted.  If the DelSp parameter is
   "no" (or not specified, or set to an unrecognized
   value), the trailing space is not deleted.

And speaking of mails - we are using mails/posts right
now - so why use it in mails and Usenet posts?

On a more general/human scale: you are Finish (I take
it), I am Swedish. (I'm not reeling you or anyone else
to my side, just stating facts.) We have acquired
English and use it because we accept that is very
practical and it is simply how it works. Not to mention
the Russian and Chinese who had to get fluent with a
whole new alphabet and language system! Or this quote
from this thread: "In Britain and Ireland we generally
use "isn't", notice there's no angle on the
apostrophe." Besides virtually all US computer people
use '/" what I can tell!

So yes, I feel it is close to arrogance that the OP
cannot in one word tell me why this would benefit
anyone, and even more so as I actually tried to help
him in my first post!

Anyway, I'm not angry or anything. Peace in the Middle
East. Feel free to carry on this discussion though (of
course).

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573