Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?

From: Damien Cassou
Subject: Re: Why aren't `find`, `find-if`, `remove-if` part of Emacs Lisp?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:43:57 +0200

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Why? Just to avoid having to do (require 'cl)? Or are you suggesting
> that they should be rewritten in C and made primitive subrs?

I think Nicolas' problem is not the language in which the functions are
implemented. In my opinion, the problems are:

- that a (large) library must be loaded to have these 2 core functions
(select a subset of elements, select one element). And this library is not
required for similar functions like mapcar

- that the name of the cl-lib functions are all prefixed by 'cl-' which
makes them look weird for core functions

I don't think Nicolas cares about the exact same features as cl-remove-if
and cl-find-if. A very simple alternative (i.e., without the &rest cl-keys)
would do the job.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing
enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill