Re: strange display of glyphs in a second window

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: strange display of glyphs in a second window
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 04:58:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 10:56:24 PM UTC+5:30, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,

> I am facing a problem if I open a new frame (C-x 5 2): some glyphs are
> displayed as if emacs could not read them (a square with the code of the
> glyph).

> For instance & is displayed as: 00 in a red square.
>                                 26

> Also in the bottom bar, the name of the open file is displayed in the
> same manner.

> I don't understand why... The first frame is OK!

> How to correct this?

> thank you.
> --
> Fran�ois Patte
> Universit� Paris Descartes

Perhaps not related to your issue but if you see above what I am seeing:

I dont see

François Patte
Université Paris Descartes

but

Fran�ois Patte
Universit� Paris Descartes

This may not be an emacs issue at all – just set your thunderbird to
use UTF-8 instead of latin-1.

However it may be an indication that your locale settings are not utf-8.
What does the following (at the shell) give? I get for example

$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

रुसि [Just in case: forcing UTF-8 on this post!]