Allowing wildcards in Find file prompt that resolve to a single file?

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: Allowing wildcards in Find file prompt that resolve to a single file?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:28:36 +0000

Has anyone made an enhancement or extension that would let a user
specify wildcard(s) in the Find file prompt, as long as the
wildcard(s) resolve to a single file?

The reason I want this is because we have numerous files that
have uniqueness at the tail end (which is why TAB doesn't help).

Consider, for example, that there might be only file in each
directory that ends with ".foo" (made-up example).  I would enter
"dir1/dir2/*.foo" at the Find file prompt and have it find the
one ".foo" file in dir2.  (The file name before ".foo" is a
mangling of "dir1" and "dir2" for historical reasons.)

Hope this makes sense,

Mark Ludwig
Lifecycle Coll
Product Lifecycle Management

Siemens Industry Sector
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
5939 Rice Creek Parkway
Shoreview, MN  55126 United States
Tel.      :+1 (651) 855-6140
Fax      :+1 (651) 855-6280