Re: Best irc client for non geek

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Best irc client for non geek
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 10:20:18 -0700

James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> writes:

> I have just been reading into the various possibilities. Basically I
> am seeking to use something simple like xchat, easy to set up and use.
> I thought rcirc was perhaps what I was looking for - erc seems the
> main app but I think I would find its setting up a bit much.
>
> james

I don't think erc *needs* to be a pain to set up. It can do a million
things, but I don't think you're required to do any of them. This is the
sum total of my erc-related init code:

(defun my-freenode ()
  (interactive)
  (require 'erc)
  (erc-tls :server "chat.freenode.net"
           :port 6697
           :nick "girzel"
           :password "password"))

(eval-after-load "erc" '(require 'erc-dcc))

And I don't even use the dcc stuff.

Eric