Re: a dark theme?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: a dark theme?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 22:37:30 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> I just grepped the sources.  Emacs has 803 faces only
> in its core and built-in packages.  So a really
> complete theme might require some work.

Yeah, completeness for completeness sake is silly
anyway. But perhaps when you invoke a theme it could
call a defun that would "reset" Emacs to an
unconfigured state, in terms of faces, otherwise the
result of applying the theme is unpredictable with
respect to... at least details, in the "face" of
previous configs and themes applied.

Come to think of it, I always said themes weren't
creative but perhaps I underestimate people, this
"incompleteness feature" of themes makes it possible to
combine them...

> (But it's a common and good practice to derive all
> faces for a package from the standard emacs-core
> font-lock faces, so changing those will also change the
> appearance of the derived ones.)

You mean like this?

(defgroup fpscalc nil
  "The `fpscalc' mode."
  :group 'local)

(defgroup fpscalc-faces nil
  "The faces used by the `fpscalc' major mode."
  :group 'fpscalc
  :group 'faces)

(defface fpscalc-program-parts
  '((t :inherit font-lock-keyword-face :foreground "magenta" :bold t))
  "The words declarations, initialise, semaphores, and formulas."
  )

--
underground experts united