Re: Emacs hangs with 100pc CPU during query-replace

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Emacs hangs with 100pc CPU during query-replace
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 03:36:37 +0200

> You mean like this:
>
> kill -s usr2 4352
>
> (get the PID with 'ps -e | grep emacs')
>
> or, equivalently (?)
>
> pkill --signal usr2 emacs

Exactly.

> That doesn't do a lot for me. It only says "Quit" in the echo
> area. But perhaps that is the debugger quiting, not finding anything
> to debug?

Too bad.  I do get a debugger all the time, even if Emacs is completely
idle.  Maybe your Emacs is even too busy to get the debugger up.

AFAIK the "QUIT" message you get doesn't mean that the debugger has
quit.  Sending usr2 causes the `debug-on-quit' flag to be set and
additionally causes a quit signal.  In combination, this causes the
debugger to be entered.