Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 19:52:25 -0400

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Dan Espen wrote:
>> The multiple keys part is easy:
>> (define-key global-map [(f9)] 'electric-buffer-list)
>> Why hit 2 keys for something you do so often?
>
> Since we are both using electric-buffer-list I know we are in the same
> group on that.  It is great.  :-)
>
> But as for binding to a function key to avoid C-x C-b being two keys I
> will respond that F9 isn't in the home row of keys.  On the standard
> IBM PC style keyboard one must move the hands from the home row and
> find and hit that single key.  I touch type but I would need to look
> to hit that one accurately.  That is a much higher finger workload
> than simply typing two control keys from the normal finger typing
> position that can be done by touch typing.

I can find F9, (in fact all the function keys) without looking.
Since they're in groups of 4 it's pretty easy.

Somehow, I don't mind moving my hands around even though I touch type,
but I do have this in my .emacs too:

;These replace the standard bindings with a better buffer list
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'electric-buffer-list) ;^x^b better buff list
(global-set-key "\C-xb"    'electric-buffer-list) ;^x b better buff list

(Just in case.)

--
Dan Espen