`default' in theme face specs

From: Frank Terbeck
Subject: `default' in theme face specs
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:03:51 +0200

Hey group,

with defining face specs for themes, the manual says:

  ‘default’
       This element of SPEC doesn’t match any terminal; instead, it
       specifies defaults that apply to all terminals. This element, if
       used, must be the first element of SPEC. Each of the following
       elements can override any or all of these defaults.

So I tried that, and it seems that the ‘override’ part doesn't quite
work as advertised. When this didn't seem to work, I created a minimal
theme, in which I'm doing this:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
    (custom-set-theme-faces 'foobar
       '(default ((default :slant normal
                           :weight bold
                           :foreground "white"
                           :background "black")
                  (t :foreground "blue"))))
#+END_SRC

As per the manual, I'd expect the "blue" foreground definition in the
‘t’ clause to override the default definition from the ‘default’ clause.
But that's not the case, the foreground colour is "white" after loading
the theme.

Am I misreading the manual, doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

In case it matters, "M-x version" returns:

  GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of
  2013-12-25 on jim, modified by Debian

Regards, Frank

--
There are no threads in alt.binaries.pictures.erotica,
so there's no gain in using a threaded news reader.