Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:51:30 +0700

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> You might like to try icomplete-mode.
> And you might like to M-x report-emacs-bug requesting that the list of
> completions in icomplete-mode (for C-x b) sort buffers "for the current
> frame" before others.

What I actually do is three things.

* First, there is tabbar-mode with a grouping function that assigns a
single group to each window (not frame) and groups buffers by the
window they were last seen in. (The “last seen in” information is
tracked by a hook.) I use M-S-<left>/<right> to switch tabs and never
switch groups.

* Second, M-S-<down> calls ibuffer (in the current window), allowing
me to select a buffer if it’s too far away or bring a buffer from a
different window.

* Third, M-S-<up> is bound to dired-jump, letting me navigate buffers
according to the filesystem-based relationships.