Re: goof in small function where???

From: ken
Subject: Re: goof in small function where???
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:16:25 -0400

On 07/22/2014 05:41 AM Joost Kremers wrote:
ken wrote:
The function below half works: it does put the buffer-file-name into the
kill ring, but nothing is displayed in the minibuffer.  Why?  And how to
fix this?

(defun file-name-into-kill-buffer ()
"Put path/filename of current buffer onto kill-ring so to paste
into an X application.  Also display it in minibuffer."
(interactive)
       (let ((str (buffer-file-name)))
         (and str
              (kill-new str)
              (message "Copied filename %s to kill ring" str)))
)

Works for me. You're probably doing something (or Emacs does something)
that makes the message disappear right away. (Messages in the minibuffer
disappear as soon as you press a key or even hit a cursor key.)

Check the *Messages* buffer if the message is there (`C-h e` or mouse-1
in the minibuffer.[1])

HTH

Joost

Thanks, Joost. But "Copied filename..." isn't anywhere in *Messages* buffer. If, however, I do in a file:

(message "Hello Message")C-x C-e

I do see "Hello Message" in the minibuffer and (some seconds later) in *Messages*.

Very weird!  How could this be?