Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this defcustom?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:19:25 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>>
>> Ok, precision matters, so a quoted symbol is at the same time an
>> unquoted *expression* that returns the symbol itself ... while an
>> unquoted symbol
>> in an unquoted *expression* that tries to return the symbols value (as a
>> variable) ... (?)
>

> Apologies if I explain things you already know.  See below:
> *** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.

Well, I did quote the STANDARD argument in my defcustom correctly and
really actually know that in an already quoted list I should not quote
symbols again, but that did not prevent me from doing it wrong and then
being unable to see my mistake ;)

Since 'foo is (quote foo) which is an unquoted expression the docstring
of `defcustom` is correct, and I did not think it through before doing
my bug-report, shame on me.

Thanks for your long and interesting explanations anyway!

--
cheers,
Thorsten