Re: how to handle rtf

From: renato . pontefice
Subject: Re: how to handle rtf
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

Il giorno mercoledì 30 luglio 2014 23:28:54 UTC+2, Emanuel Berg ha scritto:
> Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>

> >> No, I need to read, modify eand write .rtf
>

> > Why not use the right tool for the job? libreoffice
>
> > --writer for example?
>

> To be an Emacs user, Rusi sure have an odd taste in
>
> software.
>

> The OP wants to use Emacs. My advice is to take the
>
> document you (the OP) currently have, convert it to
>
> plain text, use Emacs to edit it, and from then on,
>
> don't use the .rtf format. Keep it text (best) or do
>
> LaTeX if you have advanced stuff to tell. Do HTML/CSS
>
> if you want to go web. Etc.
>

> No Emacs user should abandon Emacs for a Word mockoff,
>
> and for such a lame reason (the format) at that! If
>
> anyone does that, he should be excommunicated for 8
>
> years. (If you think that was a silly joke, that is
>
> exactly what happens if you defect from Cuba: just
>
> imagine.)
>

> --
>
> underground experts united

I try to explain, why do I do I need to use .rtf, and why do I'd like to do
with emacs:
In the company where I work, I have to open rtf files, insert some text (plain
text), save it, upload on a server, that will elaborate that file, replace the
text tha I've inserted (that is a  a variable name) with the content of the
variable.
The prob to use MS Word or LO, is that, when I open this file with this
program, the insert some rtf code, that let the server app not to process the
replacement. (i.e., my program look for [**VARIABLE_NAME**] and replaces it
with the real content of the variable), but, when I save from MS or LO, my
variable will be corrupted (i.e., is no more [**VARIABLE_NAME**-], but...
[**VAR(\hich\af1\dbch\af37\loch\f1_IABLE_NAME**])
of course, in this way, my parser, will not recognize the variable name.

So, my prob is to try to edit this rtf in the more plain text as possible. But,
not be confused, with the .rtf code.

This is why, I'm lookin for sothings that let me edit .rtf in emacs, but with
sothings that let me read without the rtf code.

Have I been more clear?

TIA

Renato