Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 02:52:32 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Yes, I use a package manager too. But I don't always
> believe it when the package manager says "stable" or
> "unstable"

Those release names should, I take it, not be applied
to any individual piece of software which they contain
but rather to a group of software that has migrated
there according to some policy. But of course it should
relate to reality in the sense that moste software in
"stable" should be stable.

But as I said, I never had a system or software crash
for years using the "un"stable Debian. Might be I only
use Emacs and zsh and the shell tools, and I upgrade
seldom and only what I need (no fishing expeditions).
Either that or it is just exaggerated as the Debian
people are security freaks: the unstable is actually
very stable to us mere mortals...

> numbers either. On the stability issue the opinion of
> the developers may be completely different. Of course
> sometimes the developers are wrong and the distro
> writers are right, not often though.

Distro writers... :)

>> Anyway, so whatever Emacs you can get from your
>> distro's repositories should be considered
>> "released"? Sounds logical...
>
> No. Distros do all sorts of wierd things, including
> sometimes releasing alphas, betas or even separate
> builds they've done themselves. To give an old
> example, one time Red Hat released their own version
> of GCC. They took the release branch of GCC's
> version-control repository, fixed a few little things
> and released it. They didn't even do that in an
> "unstable" distro.

OK, so we might all be running bastard-Emacs in
complete disarray in a world that is completely
disintegrated. Perhaps it would be easier to just get
Emacs from ftp.gnu.org and then quickly use the package
manager to uninstall the package manager...

--
underground experts united