Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 00:19:10 +0200

> That is not an implicit statement by Debian that
> 0.12.4 is really more stable than 0.16.7. Only that
> 0.12.4 was the version that was chosen back when
> "stable" got frozen and that switching to another
> version later on within "stable" would be risky
> because the newer version may require some other
> version of some other package, or may have changed
> the format of the config file, ...

So there is no implication at all with respect to the
software, and when they disencourage from using the
bleeding-edge "in production" (still unclear to me
exactly what that means) they are only referring to the
distribution: the bundling etc. of the software?

I.e., if you were to get by the install phase, and
thereafter only used the software (didn't reinstall or
upgrade it), then that software would be either more or
less or equally stable as the same software in the
stable Debian release, we couldn't tell?

OK, If you say so, I believe you. Like I said, I have
used the bleeding-edge for years without any problems
with stability whatsoever, so what you say isn't
contrary to my experience.

I want the bleeding-edge because I want the bugs and
problems I find and might try to correct or ask for
help to be bugs that haven't been corrected like years
from now, and correspondingly I don't want to wish for
features that likewise have been introduced in the
"bleeding" releases. I just want the most recent stuff.

So then the question is: if not for stable software,
why would anyone want software that can be up to two
years old, just so that the distro itself is stable?

--
underground experts united