Re: reading mail with emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: reading mail with emacs
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:57:28 +0200

"visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net> writes:

> Whereas I have been reading mail with emacs for
> decades, I did a new install (I'm a gentoo user) and
> now what once automagically worked nolonger does...
> Emacs seems to function -- exept for mail.

Well, how did you read mail in Emacs for all those
decades?

> Although I have fethcmail and exim running, and
> although mail does arive in /var/spool/exim/input,
> the format is that each message is split into a
> header file and then the body of the message.
>
> M-x rmail does not get mail from /var/spool/exim/input.

I use Gnus but before that I used Rmail, and what I
remember it collected all the mails in one single file
in the user home directory, a file with the name RMAIL
as well. I'm not familiar with the
/var/spool/exim/input method, but if that is a file
that Rmail can parse then you should tell Rmail to look
in that direction. If it isn't Rmail-compatible, you
must respool it to bridge the gap, if you want to use
Rmail, that is. I would recommend Gnus, which talks to
several mail and news backends, and thus have all but a
swiss army knife ready to spool and respool back and
forth between all those methods. You probably already
used the Emacs message-mode to send messages (mails),
which I just recently learned is part of Gnus as well.
Also, there is gnu.emacs.gnus where you can get help if
this group can't help you (but I think it can).

--
underground experts united