rmail

From: visaris tds.net
Subject: rmail
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 06:28:48 -0400

I now understand that my problems began with exim (my MTA)  Hopefully the
exim related problems have been sorted.

It seems my movemail problems have likewise subsided.

M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
however...

Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
(and I get beeps from the PC speaker).

The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
something about a particular message causes code to be executed.

Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!