Re: how to determine if to reply by CC as well

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: how to determine if to reply by CC as well
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:56:48 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> Yes, but is he on the list or not? If he is, he
>> doesn't need a CC. If he isn't, he might be unaware
>> there were people trying to help him.
>
> Yes. That is exactly the problem. And one without a
> solution from looking at one email message. Sometimes
> you can tell by looking over several messages. For
> example if the poster has previously responded to a
> message that went only to the mailing list then you
> can safely assume that they are reading the mail list
> messages. Or if they have set a Mail-Followup-To:
> header. But otherwise there just isn't any way to
> know.

Perhaps an auto-reply could be sent to those who are
not on the list, with a suggestion to join the list,
and a note saying what ways there are to still read the
replies (if joining the list isn't attractive for some
reason).

But in a way I don't like that because every time I get
automatic mails they say stuff I don't care for and/or
already know.

But wait: When people aren't on the list, and they are
not on Usenet, how do they learn of the list/group in
the first place?

At those places, perhaps the equivalent message can be
showed? Then it is a matter of not having too much
other text on that page, so that not the future poster
will be tempted to skip it and remain uninformed.

--
underground experts united