Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:41:56 -0400

> I am familiar with the differences between the primary selection and
> the clipboard.  However the resulting behavior of cutting text and
> pasting text shouldn't matter whether you are using one or the other.

Of course it does: if you select text in an application which puts it in
PRIMARY and then paste it in an application which looks for it in
CLIPBOARD you won't get what you're asking for.

> In the end anything that prevents being able to highlight text with a
> click and drag of the left mouse button and then being able to paste
> that text with the middle button appears as breakage whether it is
> actually the clipboard or the primary selection executing the details.

Right.  The convention is not followed correctly by all applications,
plus some applications are trying to be helpful (i.e. to try and
accommodate the fact that other applications don't follow the convention
correctly) and end up breaking the convention yet again.

It's kind of messy because this convention was introduced "late" in the
life of X11.

        Stefan