Re: gnus & nnmaildir

From: lee
Subject: Re: gnus & nnmaildir
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 00:04:52 +0200

Ken <kensubuntu@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, below is my .gnus configuration. It still isn't working unless
> there is something I need to so to "subscribe" to my mail?????
>
> (message "[...setting up gnus]...")
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
>
> (setq smtp-mail-server "kensubuntu@gmail.com")
> (setq user-mail-address "kensubuntu@gmail.com")
> (setq message-send-mail-real-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> (setq
>  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmaildir "mymailbox"  (directory
> "~/Maildir/")))
> )
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnmaildir+mymailbox:outbox")

You may need/want to define mail sources.

(setq mail-sources ...)

Sorting ("splitting" as gnus calls it) incoming mail with procmail or
other MDAs or an exim-filter is somewhat contradictory to how gnus
works.  Gnus knows, if defined, mail sources and fetches incoming mail
from there (regardless of what kind the source is), while, if set up,
splitting ("sorting") such mail into groups ("folders") so that procmail
etc. are no longer needed.

My recommendation is to use gnus' native nnml format rather than maildir
and set up some (fancy) mail splitting.  Example for nnml:

(setq
 gnus-select-method '(nnml "yun" (nnml-use-compressed-files ".bz2")
                           (nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold 65535)))

You could specify all your groups as mail sources (not recommended) or
just define a temporary maildir as one of the mail sources and use mutt
to push (copies of) the mails from the old maildir folder into the
temporary one after setting up appropriate splitting for gnus.  Push
only one mail at first, check your splitting rules, adjust as needed,
then just push the rest of them and gnus will do the work for you ---
repeat for all your maildir folders.

You can, of course, stick to maildir and use it with gnus, which saves
you the conversion.  I converted and am not looking back to mutt; gnus
is just too good :)

Keep good backups when starting with gnus.  You may need to try out
stuff and want to be able to roll back.  Doing a conversion greatly
helps with it because you can keep your existing mail storage intact.

--
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-08-17 on yun.yagibdah.de