Re: perhaps rephrase "misplaced interactive spec"

From: lee
Subject: Re: perhaps rephrase "misplaced interactive spec"
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:55:14 +0200

> If have a minor mode (i.e., buffer local) for caps, all
> in sweet software [1]. I got it from someone else but I
> modified it to auto-reset when one uppercased C
> constant or acronym or whatever is typed, so you get
> back to non-caps automatically.
>
> I got the following message when otherwise successfully
> and without warnings byte-compiling it:
>
> ;; caps.el ... Warning: misplaced interactive spec:
> ;; `(interactive (list (or current-prefix-arg (quote
> ;; toggle))))'
>
> Turns out, I didn't have a docstring!
> [...]
>
> (define-minor-mode MODE DOC ...
>
> so I wonder why I just didn't get a
> wrong-number-of-arguments? That would have instantly
> made it clear.
>
> Well, just a suggestion. But I think most people will
> have a hard time deciphering that kind of error
> message.

IMO, the error message could (should) say that the documentation string
is missing for all instances in which the documentation string is a
mandatory argument because it is usually not.

Did you make a bug report?

Is it optionally possible to get a warning for all instances in which a
voluntary docstring is missing?

For it appears inconsistent to have the docstring mandatory in some
cases and voluntarily in others ...

--
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-08-17 on yun.yagibdah.de