Re: gnus & nnmaildir

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: gnus & nnmaildir
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:02:33 -0400

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:

> On http://www.gnus.org/resources.html, it says:
>
> About gnu.emacs.help:
>
>   * The gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup is the appropriate
>     place to ask questions on usage of released versions of Gnus.

I have recently made a couple of attempts to post a query on
gnu.emacs.gnus, but it seems my Gnus no longer can read it or post to
it.

FWIW, here is the query:

I use Gnus 5.13 under Emacs 24.3 under Cygwin 1.5.25 under Windows XP.

In my routines for reading email (at Verizon) when I do not want to
read newsgroups (at eternal-september), I have been calling
(gnus-no-server) without trouble until recently.  Then (after weeding
out some old nnfolder+archive:sent. directories), I found that
(gnus-no-server) no longer allowed me to read mail.  It brought up
Gnus and allowed me to send mail, but gave the usual no-news message
even when I in fact had mail.  M-x gnus, however, brought up incoming
mail (as well as newsgroups), as usual.

On investigating with L in the *Group* buffer, I found that I had
somehow unsubscribed to nnml:mail.misc.  Resubscribing to it restored
service under (gnus-no-server) once, but thereafter it failed again,
tho I was still subscribed.

What have I done wrong?
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  When confused, read the manual, which will give you a good  :||
||:  excuse.                                                     :||