M-x rmail results in IO error reading .newmail

From: visaris tds.net
Subject: M-x rmail results in IO error reading .newmail
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:53:16 -0400

Hi

Attempting to read mail via M-x rmail produces the message

IO error reading /home/visaris/.newmail-visaris

accompanied by a beep from my PC's speaker.

Haven't experienced this before.  What error?  How to fix?  I tried
to locate files "*macs*" related to emacs, delete them and then
reinstall emacs-24.3-r6 but that did not fix anything as far as I can tell.