Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, August 29, 2014 11:36:35 AM UTC+5:30, David Engster wrote:
> �scar Fuentes writes:
> > However, I don't see CEDET's team throwing away their Elisp parser and
> > start coding one on C/C++. They could use Clang's right away, or GCC's
> > once the modularization is completed, but they insist on their own's.

> Stop this, �scar. I think you're very well aware that the clang binary
> in itself only provides smart completions, nothing more. I *have* added
> support for this in CEDET. I'm pretty sure you know that as well,
> because I've already written this to you the last time this was
> discussed.

> What you are talking about is walking the AST using libclang/libtooling,
> which is a whole different matter and nothing which one does "right
> away". Just look at projects like rtags which do that, and see what it
> entails.

rtags looks interesting.

Ive been thinking for a long time...
Once things like dbus stabilize, its only a question of time before
the optimal solution is to parcel off code analysis to the right source
rather than emacs running in a (hopeless) catching up game of trying to do
as well as the language system itself.

So "what it entails" ?? What are the issues?

The one question I have straight off is "Is it generic?"

ie can rtags carry over to haskell/python etc?
[Of course assuming that the corresponding server for haskell/python etc
code analysis exist/can be written]