Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: solidius4747
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:06:18 -0700 (PDT)

Vào 20:36:32 UTC+7 Thứ sáu, ngày 29 tháng tám năm 2014, Óscar Fuentes đã viết:
> solidius4747@gmail.com writes:
>

> > I wrote a guide for Helm here: http://tuhdo.github.io/helm-intro.html
>

> > Hope it help with your Helm usage if you are new to Helm.
>

> Helm looks impressive.
>

> How difficult is to add a new completion command to helm? Such as
>
> providing it with a list of strings and complete on it?
>

> Can helm use other completion matching methods, such as flx? I regard
>
> flx as more convenient than helm's default matching system.

It should be easy. I've never tried to provide custom source but if you use
existing Helm sources, it's very easy to craft your own. For me, I prefer
Helm's way. That is, I can directly enter a filename, and narrow down it later
if more than one candidates are displayed. Compared with ido + flx, I have to
precisely remember the structure of something and enter it follow the correct
order. For example, I can enter test.c and hundreds of them might exist. I can
narrow down further by specifying the path incrementally later. With Ido, I
always have to remember the path for fuzzy completion. Helm gives me greater
flexibility; with flexibility, it gives greater explorability in a huge source.
You should read the section "Why Helm is powerful" above.