Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring

From: Joseph Xu
Subject: Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 08:55:15 -0700

I'm using zsh and it is already configured to share history. However, I
thought the input ring and zsh's own history mechanism are two different
things. Am I wrong?

I noticed that each command I execute in an M-x shell is immediately
written to ~/.history. I assume the only problem is that emacs is only
repopulating the input ring from that file when the M-x shell starts, not
after each command. I wonder if it is possible (and not too slow) to
register a hook to make emacs reload from that file after each command.