Re: latex-mode hook?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: latex-mode hook?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:34:43 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>> Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

>>> A bit confusing is that I have AUCTEX installed and see LaTeX/P in the
>>> mode line, but
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> returns 'latex-mode', not 'LaTeX-mode'.
>>
>> IIRC, AUCTeX aliases latex-mode to LaTeX-mode. This can explain that.
>
> BTW, I *never* understood why AUCTeX mode isn't simply called "AUCTeX"
> in the mode line and so forth: using the case-sensitivity to distinguish
> between both versions of LaTeX support (the default one, and the AUCTeX
> one) is clearly asking for trouble.

Reminds me of the major-mode issue with ESS (ess-mode vs R-mode). In
outorg.el I always had to deal with R as a special case because (funcall
major-mode) wouldn't work as expected. Its due to 'historical reasons' I
would say, suboptimal decisions in a projects early stage that are hard
to change later on.

--
cheers,
Thorsten