Re: latex-mode hook?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: latex-mode hook?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 13:24:15 -0400

> True.  Although it's hard to deny that the added value of AUCTeX (as
> opposed to vanilla Emacs latex-mode) is considerable.

I definitely do not want to make it sound like AUCTeX brings nothing to
the table.  I just want to point out that the bundled latex-mode is
a good bit more than just a renamed text-mode.  Some features (e.g.
super/sub-script font-locking) were introduced in plain latex-mode
*before* making their way into AUCTeX.

FWIW, I use plain latex-mode rather than AUCTeX (originally, the purpose
was to "dogfood" it, since it seemed at that time that AUCTeX would
never be able to be anywhere near "builtin".  Nowadays AUCTeX could
actually be built-in (thanks to many people's efforts to collect the
corresponding copyright paperworks), and its availability in GNU ELPA
makes it already very close to built-in, so that's not a good reason any
more, but I just keep using plain latex-mode, because I like its C-c C-c
better).

> Consider also, say, C-c C-r, autocompletion of label/ref labels,

Completion of references should work in plain latex-mode as well
(assuming you enable reftex-mode, which is built-int).

> folding...

Plain latex-mode has outline-minor-mode support.  I don't know how that
compares to AUCTeX's folding support.

> (Disclaimer: I am not involved in AUCTeX development in any way.)

Disclaimer: I'm the primary contributor to plain latex-mode.

        Stefan