integrating output from external program to emacs, ala gcc, grep

From: glen stark
Subject: integrating output from external program to emacs, ala gcc, grep
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:07:48 GMT

Hi everyone.

I'm writing a little tool that parses some code, and identifies likely
candidates for refactoring.  Now what I'd like to do is be able to call
that from emacs, and use the 'next error' function like I do when using
gcc (via compile), or when I grep in the eshell.

So what do I have to do so that emacs can use my tools output?  I suppose
there's some standard output format defined to allow tools to jump to
errors.  Could someone point me to the documentation?

I guess the easiest thing to do is call the tool from the compile
command.  What are the other possibilities?  How do I get it to run like
grep does in eshell for example?

If anyone has tips that might save me a little time here, or result in a
better implementation,  I'll be very grateful.

Thanks,

Glen