Re: Problems installing (M)ELPA packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problems installing (M)ELPA packages
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:46:39 -0400

>   ╭────
> https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/wiki#ihaveupdatedfrommelpaandihaveerrors
>
>   │ I have updated from melpa and I have errors
>
>   │   - Uninstall helm from list-packages
>   │   - Close emacs
>   │   - Start emacs -Q
>   │   - Reinstall helm from list-packages
>   │   - Restart emacs
>   ╰────

Uninstalling should not be needed above.

> Is that something that could/will be fixed in the future?

There have been some discussions about it in emacs-devel, but nothing
concrete came out of it yet (except maybe emacs-async, tho IIUC it
existed before).

I suggest you re-start a discussion about this in emacs-devel or via
M-x report-emacs-bug.

For this discussion, it would be helpful to have a list of known
breakages with some analysis of why they break.  I know of one source of
problems:
When compiling the new package, (require 'foo) will do nothing if the
old package also had a `foo' which is already loaded, in which case we
end up using the old package's `foo' to compile the new package, which
of course leads to various problems, e.g. if we use some macros from `foo'.

        Stefan