Re: emacsclient command line use existing client

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: emacsclient command line use existing client
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:43:54 +0200

> torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> elisp_expr="(mailto-compose-mail \"$mailto\")"
>>
>> emacsclient -a "" -c -n --eval "$elisp_expr" \
>>      '(set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t)'
>>
>> But somehow when I run this it starts a new emacsclient rather than
>> using the one I have running. If I remove the `-a ""` then nothing
>> happens at all. Why won't it connect to my existing emacsclient?
>
> What exactly do you mean with "existing emacsclient"?  You must have a
> running server.  A running Emacs is not enough.

Not sure what OP means, but I would like something similar too:

Having one emacs server running with possibly many emacsclients
connected, address one specific emacsclient from a program.

Say I have a tmux window with 3 tiles, one of them the PicoLisp REPL,
another an emacsclient window showing an emacs-w3m buffer. Now I want a
PicoLisp command that calls emacs to show symbol documentation in
emacs-w3m (instead of standalone w3m, which is easy to achieve).

But there are several tmux windows opwn, and more emacsclients
connected. How do I tell the emacs-server on the command-line to reuse
that one specific emacsclient instance side-by-side with the PicoLisp
REPL?

--
cheers,
Thorsten