Re: emacsclient command line use existing client

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: emacsclient command line use existing client
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:29:18 -0400

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Thanks for prompting me to be more precise. When my OS starts I launch
> a server with the autostart `emacs-client` command, and have the line
> in my .emacs to ensure the server is started. As it should, opening

That sounds like you might be starting 2 servers.

Not sure what you mean there.  What line in .emacs? Does it start a
second server in addition to the one started when OS starts?

> any number of new frames (or launching emacs-client again) will share
> the same buffer list, etc. However, this shell script for launching an
> email (apparently) starts a new server; it isn't sharing anything with
> the other frames, and if I don't `kill-emacs` I end up with two
> servers running. Clearly, not acceptable.

In your script you need to say which emacsclient server to attache to.

something like `emacsclient -s SERVERNAME -c' (or what ever other flags
you use)

Will only attache to SERVERNAME