Re: Always using let*

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Always using let*
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:14:46 -0400

In article <87mwa1lhb1.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
 "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> >> Lisps such as Common Lisp were specifically designed with this
> >> parallel evaluation in mind.  The spec (and CLTL(2)) specifically
> >> emphasizes the inherent parallelism (independence) here that
> >> implies the *possibility* of parallel evaluation.
> >
> > I simply claim that this is bogus.  Only the var-binding is "parallel", not
> > the computation of each value.  So it's a "parallel binding" semantics,
> > but it has nothing to do with efficient execution on multiple
> > execution units.
>
> The claim is not bogus.  It's just that in general, in presence of side
> effects, since the expressions must be evaluated from left to right,
> indeed, only the assignments can be performed in parallel.

If the LET can be done in parallel, so could LET*. Remember, we're
talking about compiled code. The inner and outer variables are not the
same memory location, even if they have the same name. The difference
between LET and LET* just has to do with which scope the compiler looks
up the name in.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA