Re: Always using let*

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Always using let*
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:05:43 +0200

Op Tuesday 16 Sep 2014 00:20 CEST schreef Emanuel Berg:

>> But most of the time there is emphasis on speed of
>> writing, not on easy maintenance.
>
> You mean with silly books? "Write powerful programs
> with C++ fast!"

No, I mean in the development of software. My experience is that
almost always the deadlines are to tight and there is only regard for
delivering as soon as possible, to keep the run-over as short as
possible. Taking some time to make it easier for someone else (but
also yourself) to maintain the program later on, would be in my
opinion a very wise investment.

Something I also often heard (but to be honest less often, so there is
improvement): we never have time to do it correctly, but we always
have time to mend the bugs.
I would think that delivering software with less bugs (no bugs is
impossible) would be more time efficient.

> I don't think there is an emphasis on speed but if
> there were I would support it because contrary to what
> many people think doing things fast almost always means
> doing them better. When you do things fast you trigger
> your brain to perform the most. The people who run the
> best, are the people who run the fastest!
>
> There is no contradiction between typing code fast and
> having maintainable code.

Typing code fast is no problem, writing code fast could. To quote
Abraham Lincoln:
    If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I would spend six
    sharpening my axe.

Three quarters is maybe a bit much, but I agree with the gist.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer