RE: emacs stackexchange beta site

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs stackexchange beta site
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Because you just log in to one site to get to Emacs.
> You don't have to be a nomad on several sites and move
> back and forth. You don't have to care about any of
> that. You just go to the specific site for the specific
> purpose.

We'll see.

> Collecting material that is associated on one place,
> logically in categories and so forth, makes the
> material more clear, more accessible, etc.
>
> You yourself said: not another site to monitor!
> (pseudo-quote) It is not another site to monitor - it
> is *the* site to monitor.

We'll see.

> By the way, I remember who rewarded you a bounty on
> "Linux & Unix" years ago.

No idea what you are talking about; sorry.

> If you have stayed on SX
> since then I take it you are fond of the SX sites.

I'm fond of helping people use Emacs.  Same reason I
answer questions here when I can and I have time.  Same
reason I file bug reports to improve behavior and doc.

If everyone asked their questions here then I wouldn't look
for Emacs questions on SO and SuperUser.  But this question
is not about me.  Or about you.

> You are fond of Emacs, of course. So: how can it be you
> are not found of an Emacs SX site?

I don't share your assumption that all Emacs questions
and answers will be in the same place.  That's all.

I asked you what makes you think that, and you just
repeat that it will be the case.  And yet you acknowledged
that it won't be, that some Emacs questions and info will
remain on other sites.

Which was my point.  Not a big deal, but yes, those looking
for Emacs info and questions will just end up looking at
one more site, AFAICT.

> This doesn't make any sense to me. I'm the one not
> liking the SX sites and I'm the only one (?) in favor!

Maybe your idea of what this proposal amounts to is
unrealistic?  I don't claim to have a clear idea of what
it entails either, which is why I raised the question at
the proposal page.  No clear answer there, so far.  And
none here either.  Just your claim that tomorrow there
will be a chicken in every pot.

> > Nothing prevents you from creating Emacs-specific
> > tags today. Make them as elaborate as you like.
> > Nothing is more elaborate than elaborate-as-you-like.
>
> In the world of principles, yes. In reality, I can't
> see anything else than that an Emacs-specific site will
> bring about more material and more advanced material
> that will be easier to browse and access.
>
> > Blah. But I do support the idea of anyone, "at any
> > stage", including kids and the supposedly mentally
> > challenged, starting to use Emacs. Welcome!
>
> Not "mentally challenged" - I wrote "morons" - if you
> use moronic software, you become a moronic computer
> user. Give me a bunch of Counterstrike- and
> World of Warcraft-playing kids (morons) and I'll take
> them to the woods and turn them into techno warriors,
> all using Emacs, Vim, Linux, Solaris, like yedis...

Welcome anyway.