Re: Gnus temporary group?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Gnus temporary group?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:49:17 +0200

On 2014-09-19 at 12:44, Tory S. Anderson wrote:
> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>> On 19 sep 2014, torys.anderson@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have a school class that will be sending me lots of email, which I
>>> want to keep in its own folder. But when the semester is over I will
>>> want to disolve that folder and archive the emails back in my
>>> mail.misc. What's the preferred solution for a case like this?
>>
>> I don't know if it is the "preferred", but moving all the mails back to
>> mail.misc with B-m and then, in the summary buffer, deleting the group
>> with G-DEL should work.
>
> yeah, that sounds simple enough. I wasn't sure if there is a way of
> defining a persistent "view" of a folder that would allow me to filter
> by a regexp, and then I would just delete the view (without physically
> moving anything).

You can give to your pupils a “plus” email address like
“torys.anderson+school@gmail.com”, and then do `/ R' and type this
address to limit buffer to these mails, and you’ll see only their
mails. Otherwise you can also do `/ a' and type a regexp which match all
your pupils email address if you can find one (easy if the school is
providing email accounts, but since you’re using a gmail address, I
guess unfortunately it isn’t so :/). Otherwise you can still do `/ s' to
limit according subject…

If none of these is possible, yeah, create a group for it and manually
put mails in, and then put the mails elsewhere when you don’t need this
group anymore, still manually. There’s of course probably already a way
to do it automatically (there always is, at worse you’d have to add some
code to your .emacs.d/gnus.el), but it is (unfortunately) probably
quicker to do this way than to search for an automated way to do it.

Anyway, instead of merging this group in misc at the end of the
semester, you can still just make a folder “school” and begin giving a
“plus” email address, so you can keep mails in this folder for longer,
and there’re still less numerous than in misc.