Re: emacs stackexchange beta site

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Re: emacs stackexchange beta site
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:39:52 +0530

:
| > [IIRC, once you outlined the difference (in
| > comp.lang.lisp) between a world (such as the original
| > ARPANET) where each person has his own mail server
| > and one (such as ours) wherein everyone used a single
| > mail server (like the one for Google Mail.) I think
| > you gave the example of Minitel.
|
| That sounds like an interesting post. Perhaps you or
| the OP can provide a URL or downright yank it here?

 A cursory search of Google Groups did not turn it up for me.

| <snip correction to intuition about the Internet and Gmail>
:
| Read this, if you like:

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/google-has-most-of-my-email-because-it-has-all-of-yours

 Thank you for the reference.

 [Off topic.

 Is Google now as bad as Microsoft then?]

| Off topic, but still a good opportunity to ask: how do
| you reference a Usenet (NNTP) post?

 If I suspect that the post would still be active, a simple message ID
 does it for me, because then I can just M-^
 (gnus-summary-refer-article) and retrieve the post.  If I had saved it,
 then I might repost it partially, quoting it appropriately.  If it
 turns out that I have to Google it, then I might sigh and get to it.

| I take it there are web archives - I only know of Google
| Groups (if you don't count those that archive specific
| mailing lists).  The coolest thing would be to get the
| post straight in Gnus or whatever news client, and that
| shouldn't be that difficult for posts that are still on
| the newsserver (I don't know for how long they are stored;
| I use Aioe.org).

 Imagine a hyperlinking system built into newsreaders and connected to
 some Usenet archive.

| Actually, I'm on comp.lang.lisp though I very seldom
| read it because I don't do CL or Scheme or anything but
| Elisp actually.

 Once a while, there is some discussion of the Lisp family, which might
 include Maclisp (the basis, as far as I can tell, for Emacs Lisp) and
 Emacs Lisp.  But usually Emacs Lisp is not considered in that newsgroup.

:
| They won't. No one believes that. It is like a book in
| the public library on Debian or Fedora. No one will
| read it for several years and then some guy stumbles
| upon it when browsing the shelf for a book on game
| programming in C++ (perhaps C# those days). That guy
| then becomes a Linux user and forgets about stupid
| games. That makes it worth it and that is why the
| library board shouldn't throw that book away, or
| else...!

 Well put.

--
Udyant Wig