Re: Tab width oddity

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Tab width oddity
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:35:03 +0700

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Nate Bargmann
<n0nb.DO.NOT.SPAM@me.n0nb.us> wrote:

> https://github.com/N0NB/hamlib/blob/master/rotorez/rotorez.c
>
> The interesting segment is from lines 320 through 326, although more
> exist throughout the file.  Lines 322 and 323 show the effect I am only
> seeing in Emacs.

This manner of aligning will break when tab size is changed. You
should not use it.

Tabs work consistently when they are at the start of each line. Within
the line, use spaces exclusively.

> For comparison, I have posted screen shots.  The first is Emacs in a
> terminal window with whitespace-mode on.  In both of the following shots
> the tab highlighting character is in the correct position after the '='
> character but then nine positions are added instead of one:

This is a somewhat known problem[1] with whitespace-mode.

[1]: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WhiteSpace#toc9