Re: inhibit-modification-hooks set to t globally

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: inhibit-modification-hooks set to t globally
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:14:21 -0400

> It sometimes happen that my fontification doesn't work correctly
> anymore. Until now I had never tried to understand why, and simply
> restarted emacs. Now, I finally took a few minutes to understand : at
> least this time, inhibit-modification-hooks was globally set to t.
> Reverting that to nil fixed the problem.

> Any idea how I can find what caused inhibit-modification-hooks to be
> globally t ?

My best guess is that an error happened while inhibit-modification-hooks
was let-bound, and that error dropped you in the debugger, and you did
not exit from the debugger (you just kept on editing instead).

I.e. when this happens, check your mode line.  If the mode looks like
"[(Foo Bar)]" instead of "(Foo Bar)", then it's probably what's
going on, or something related.

        Stefan