Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an output.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an output.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:43:25 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 00:07:09 +0400
> From: Hi-Angel <hiangel999@gmail.com>
>
> When I am working on Windows, I am using Emacs «shell» mode. The
> problem is that it sometimes doesn't prints an applications output
> (more precisely prints only after the app died).
> The problem is present exclusively in Emacs, e.g. if I am run an
> application in Windows® native terminal, it is works fine.

Emacs on Windows redirects the shell's standard handles to a pipe, and
pipes on Windows are fully-buffered (as opposed to line-buffering for
the console device).  So if your program doesn't flush its standard
output frequently enough, you may see this problem.

> I thought that the problem is in encoding, and set «shell»'s buffer
> with «C-x <RET> f» to UTF-16, which, as I know, uses MS, but it didn't
> fixed the problem.

Console applications on Windows use the current OEM codepage, not
UTF-16.