Re: PdfTeXing with Emacs' TeX input method not working

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: PdfTeXing with Emacs' TeX input method not working
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:12:46 +0200

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> Hello (),
>
> I'm playing with the TeX input method for better visualising some Calc
> formulae from embedded mode.  But when I trying to pdftex the uft8 file
> it says:
>
> l.42 \(Ω
>           := 120000. rpm\)
>
> ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:Ω not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
> I did already \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, which package or
> configuration am I missing?

This is to be expected since you are in math mode.  For visualization
you might enjoy org-entities, and for quick typing you may find org's
bindings for cdlatex useful (On my keyboard I get "\Omega" by typing
"¨O", but I customized "¨").

ibeas@gmx.com (Álvar Ibeas) writes:

> For directly typing greek letters in math mode (avoiding commands like
> \Omega), you can load the "alphabeta" package. You may also need
> \usepackage[greek]{babel}.

I think LyX does something similar for people with Greek keyboards.
The way LyX does it is *really* annoying since the case isn't right.
Alphabeta may be more cleverer, though.

> Although not strictly related to the topic, xelatex and the xunicode
> package make a great tool for varied input encodings.

What's the point of xunicode?  The readme is very sparse, and I
thought xeleatex is always unicode?

The way I would approach the problem is xelatex (or lualatex) and the
package unicode math.  Consider this minimal example, where I don't
even know myself what the math means (mostly I wanted to show
\mathbb{1}, one of the greatest benefits of unicode-math)

    \documentclass{minimal}
    \usepackage{unicode-math}
    \begin{document}
    $Ω≔\mathbb{1}\{∀ πᵢ ∈ Π\colon πᵢ = f(p_{i})\}$
    \end{document}

As you can see you can nicely mix unicode symbols and "classic" LaTeX.
Unicdode-math supports an abyss of symbols.  See "texdoc
unimath-symbols" (in your shell when texlive in installed)

—Rasmus

--
A page of history is worth a volume of logic