Re: Looking for universal completion with simple UI

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Looking for universal completion with simple UI
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:02:44 +0800

dont.spam.earl@gmail.com writes:

> Drew - thanks for the response. Yes, Icicles is the most comprehensive
> package for completion I've found, particularly for the mini buffer. I
> found it especially helpful to read you explaining the philosophy
> here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2100166/making-sense-out-of-emacs-completion-mode-choices
>
> It appears Icicles is focused on mini-buffer completion though. Any
> tips for the various forms of in-buffer completion: searching, cycling
> through killed text, etc.?

I think "helm" is becoming the standard response to this question -- it
does all the minibuffer stuff, and provides a unified completion
mechanism over find/grep/kill-ring/mark-ring, etc etc. People have made
backends for an astonishing amount of stuff. You can also use it for
in-buffer text completion by using the auto-complete backend.