Re: Emacs for Windows

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 20:13:46 -0700

Hi all,

E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last time I checked (+1 year ago),it came with an outdated Emacs
> version, and it's utilities had interoperability issues with GNU
> binaries. Too much time has passed for me to remember the specifics.

When I have to use Windows (at work), I use the "normal" (i.e.
non-Cygwin) build of Emacs, but I make heavy use of Cygwin for the shell
and all the standard command line tools.

The main elements of my configuration are:
- Make c:\ Cygwin's root (I think I got this from a Steve Yegge article)
- In init.el, add /bin to "PATH" and `exec-path'
- Set each of these to Cygwin's ZSH/Bash/whatever:
  - "SHELL"
  - `shell-file-name'
  - `explicit-shell-file-name'
  - `ediff-shell'

I also set `null-device' to "/dev/null", though I don't remember why.

I've been very happy with the result. I haven't run into any real
interoperability issues, though of course YMMV.

--
john